Piedras Blancas means "white rocks" in Spanish. Long before the establishment of a light station, Native Americans harvested the abundant natural resources at Point Piedras Blancas. Early mariners used the large white offshore rocks as navigational landmarks. In 1875, a light station was established at Point Piedras Blancas to aid maritime navigation. The lighthouse, with its distinct light pattern of a white flash every 15 seconds, assured mariners of their location and warned of the rocky coastline. Lighthouse History
The nearby coastal rock outcroppings that were a danger to ships, provide refuge to many marine animals. Visitors to Piedras Blancas Light Station enjoy scenic vistas with wildlife viewing. Natural History
The light station is operated by the Bureau of Land Management in cooperation with the 501(c)3 non-profit organization Piedras Blancas Light Station Association, Inc.